The 2021 Colorado Health Symposium brought together leading experts, community advocates, grassroots leaders, innovators and others to address issues most pressing to Coloradans and explore how pursuing racial justice is essential to achieving health equity.
About the Event
This year’s virtual Colorado Health Symposium, “Reflect and Reinvent: COVID-19, Racial Justice and Health,” took place on Thursday, Aug. 5 and Friday, Aug. 6, 2021. We shared in this immersive, engaging experience with incredible speakers, nearly 800 attendees from across Colorado, and our wonderful community advisory committee!
This Year's Theme
From inclusion and diversity experts Dr. Johnnetta Cole and Howard Ross, to comedian, author and activist Baratunde Thurston, and Colorado leaders advancing racial justice and health equity, attendees had the chance to pause and reflect on the past year, and reinvent how we can build a healthier Colorado – together. Watch recordings of select conversations and performances (available in English and Spanish)!
As the leading driver of health inequity, racial injustice most significantly affects people of color living on low income. The pandemic’s devastating impact, coupled with renewed activism for racial justice, calls us to boldly address the imbalances of power and privilege and those who have been historically excluded.
This year’s gathering offered us an opportunity to connect, and together we explored the intersection of systemic racism and the pandemic, and set our sights on emerging pathways toward a more equitable and healthy future for Colorado communities.
Participating this year required us to get comfortable with being uncomfortable, think in new ways, engage in constructive conversations that address racial inequalities, learn how to connect with divergent views and perspectives, and explore tools that can help dismantle systemic racism.
Progress can feel slow and insufficient, however, that’s how the long work of bending the arc of justice continues. We hope this year's Symposium provided space for attendees (and those who watch the recordings) the opportunity to recharge, reconnect and reflect as we all consider ways to reinvent a healthier future.
- Watch recordings of conversations and performances from the Symposium (available in English and Spanish).
- Learn why we believe racial justice is the key pathway to achieving health equity.
- Enjoy this playlist of songs of strength performed by The Synthesizers and suggested by the audience.
- Create a personal “medicine box,” an activity led by Angell Pérez during “Pausing to Dream and Reconnecting to Self.”
- Review the Foundation’s glossary of terms provided to offer context for the topics discussed at the Symposium.
- Explore the perspective of more than 2,000 Coloradans that came out of Pulse: The Colorado Health Foundation Poll (the Racial Justice and Coronavirus Pandemic sections are particularly relevant).
- Watch “At the Heart of the Matter: Belonging is the Antidote to Racism,” a conversation with john a. powell, director of the Othering & Belonging Institute, and Karen McNeil-Miller, our president and CEO.
Save the 2022 Date
Mark your calendar for next year’s Symposium in Keystone, CO – July 27-29, 2022!