In April 2020, The Colorado Health Foundation and Healthier Colorado partnered with Magellan Strategies to conduct a survey of Coloradans on the coronavirus outbreak. The goal was to understand the experiences, concerns and needs of people from across the state as their lives are impacted by the global pandemic.
- A majority of Coloradans feel their lives have been disrupted by the coronavirus outbreak, and most fear the worst is yet to come.
- People living on low incomes ($30,000 or less) are experiencing significant financial hardship with a majority having lost jobs, income or hours and saying their financial situation has gotten worse.
- More than a third of Coloradans are struggling to pay for the basic necessities of life – like food, housing and utilities since the coronavirus outbreak.
- People living on low incomes, Black/African American respondents and Hispanic/Latinx respondents are more likely to say they’re struggling to pay for the basic necessities of life – both before and after the coronavirus outbreak.
- A majority of Coloradans say the stress and worry from the coronavirus outbreak has impacted their mental health.
- Coloradans are overwhelmingly concerned that help won’t be available for those who need it, and they feel the government should do more to make health care more affordable, support individuals who cannot afford food and housing, and provide paid sick and family leave.
- A majority of Coloradans support staying at home over reopening the economy.
- Most people feel there are significant changes ahead to the way we live, socialize and work, even after the coronavirus outbreak is under control.
- The survey sampled the adult resident population of Colorado based on the 2019 US Census Bureau estimates (age 18 or older).
- The poll interviewed 1,000 Coloradans plus an over sample (100) of African American adults.
- The overall margin of error is +/- 3.1 percent.
- The poll was conducted from April 15 – April 21, 2020.
- Topline Findings (overall sample and African American oversample)
- Powerpoint Presentation: The Colorado Coronavirus Survey
- Responses to Open-ended Questions
- Cross-tabs (overall sample)
- Cross-tabs (African American sample)
- Blog Posts
- Brief: Hunger, Food Insecurity and the Coronavirus
- Brief: Housing, Homelessness and the Coronavirus
- Brief: Mental Health and Wellness and the Coronavirus