By serving Coloradans who have less power, privilege and income, and by prioritizing Coloradans of color, we keep equity at the heart of our work to bring health in reach.
At the Heart of the Matter: The Hate Stops Here: Addressing Anti-Asian Acts
Vì khó khăn kỹ thuật, chúng tôi sẽ không thể chia sẻ bản ghi âm bằng tiếng Việt.
En raison de difficultés techniques, nous ne serons pas en mesure de diffuser l'enregistrement en Français.
Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities have long endured xenophobia-fueled discrimination – nationally and in Colorado. The racist rhetoric and misinformation surrounding the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic fueled a modern, intensified wave of anti-Asian hate and violence. These acts pose a negative and lasting effect on individual and community health. Since the onslaught of COVID-19 in 2020, hate crimes against AAPIs have increased nearly 150%, and there have been 3,800 self-reported incidences of discrimination nationally.
This is unacceptable.
As we continue to explore what it will take to create a new, more equitable normal, join Karen McNeil-Miller, president and CEO of The Colorado Health Foundation, on Thursday, May 20 for a conversation about complexities within the AAPI communities and what we can all do to curb the rise of discrimination and support their health and well-being. Following a special performance by the Japanese Arts Network's Founder and Creative Director, Courtney Ozaki, Foundation President and CEO, Karen McNeil-Miller, will be joined by:
- Joie Ha - Founder, CORE: Community Organizing for Radical Empathy
- DJ Ida, PhD - Executive Director, National Asian American Pacific Islander Mental Health Association
- Clarence Low - Board Member, Asian Chamber of Commerce Colorado
- Chad Shomura, PhD - Assistant Professor, CU Denver, Department of Political Science
Learn more about recent and historical discrimination, hate and violence directed at AAPI communities in our blog post, “Standing in Solidarity with Asian and Pacific Islander Coloradans.”
- Take action at the Colorado AAPI Resources website
- Watch "Colorado Asians: A Virtual Poetry Event"
- Mark your calendar for the "InVISIBLE | hyperVISIBLE" exhibit this fall at Redline Contemporary Art Center
- Sign up for a training in Bystander Intervention to Stop Anti-Asian/American and Xenophobic Harassment
- Read about Philanthropy and the AAPI community in Seeking to Soar: Foundation Funding for Asian American & Pacific Islander Communities
- Learn more about the history of the Asian American experience in this 3-part PBS series
- Watch a Red Table Talk discussion about the racial tensions between Asian American and Black communities
- Explore differences of opinion on the COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act from NPR and NBC News
- Read “Asians in Colorado” by William Wei
- Read “Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning” by Cathy Park Hong