The Colorado Health Foundation believes recovery is possible for those experiencing mental health and substance use issues.
We envision a Colorado where adults on their recovery journeys can access culturally responsive and linguistically appropriate recovery services close to their homes.
Why It Matters
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) defines recovery as “a process of change through which individuals improve their health and wellness, live a self-directed life, and strive to reach their full potential.”
Additional services beyond clinical treatments and traditional substance use interventions are useful for beginning and maintaining the process of recovery. Nonclinical, evidence-based supports and tools, including peer-support groups, employment services and more, help bring recovery closer. These services are most effective when they align with a person’s background, culture and values.
Mental and behavioral health conditions affect Coloradans across socioeconomic levels and ethnicities. However, barriers to accessing recovery-related services persist for certain groups of Coloradans. Obstacles include a shortage of available services, especially those tailored to Coloradans of color, concerns about affordability, and stigma associated with mental health services.
How We Will Reach Our Vision
Our path to a Colorado where everyone has access to culturally responsive and linguistically appropriate recovery services includes:
- Strategic funding for recovery supports and tools that take a culturally responsive approach to serving communities of color
- Strategic engagement with organizations statewide to increase access to affordable, evidence-based recovery tools and supports
- Read about Adult Recovery in Rural and Frontier Colorado.
- Learn more about current open funding.
- Access the latest information about Coloradans’ perspectives on health through Pulse, the Colorado Health Foundation Poll.
- Apply for our annual Dr. Virgilio Licona Community Health Leadership Award.
- Stay updated about our work by joining our mailing list.